Friday, August 05, 2005

Jess Bucher, Jessie McBride both upset

This from Jessica McBride/Bucher, who thinks I am sexist for calling her that:

And since [Xoff] raised it, I don't have a problem with him alerting his readers that I am the wife of Paul Bucher, AG candidate, when he posts on me. In fact, I disclose that fact on the side of my blog because I think people have a right to know. When I started writing a monthly column for wispolitics, I asked them to put that disclosure at the bottom of all my columns. Several people later mentioned to me that they thought it was sexist for me to have to do so, but I don't agree. As long as Paul's a statewide candidate, I feel it should be disclosed when I write about politics, even though my opinions do not represent his opinions and my political commentary predates his campaign. At the same time, people should not automatically assume that what I think or write matches what Paul believes. My opinions represent my opinions. Paul and I agree on a lot, but we don't agree on everything - no couple does. What has bothered me a little though is Christofferson thinking he can rename me by giving me a hyphenated name (or the equivalent of it: McBride/Bucher). What I call myself is my decision, not his, and I personally think it's a bit sexist of him to take it upon himself to rename me. I'm not losing sleep over it, trust me, but since he raised it....


I truly am not trying to be sexist. But I am a little confused about what she wants to be called. Her blog uses the name McBride's Media Matters and she signs her posts as Jessie, so that would make her Jessie McBride, right?

But on the same blog, her e-mail address is jessbucher@sbcglobal.net. That would make her name Jess Bucher, wouldn't you say?

So I guess I could call her Jessica McBride/Jess Bucher, but that seems a little unwieldy. So I just shortened it up to Jessica McBride/Bucher. I explained earlier that I do think her being a Bucher's spouse is relevant, and she seems to agree.

What's a guy to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home