Monday, September 19, 2005

John Stocks: Home from rescue mission

John Stocks reports on his mission of mercy to help family and friends who are survivors of Katrina:

JACKSON-Thursday night

We gathered in Lois' room to open up packages that are arriving from all over the country. The children wait restlessly in anticipation of the contents.

The parents and grandparents hope for clothes to supplement the three day supply they brought from New Orleans. The children wish for toys, dolls, books and crayons. It is all a bit overwhelming because they know their stay at the Comfort Inn will be ending soon.

Tomorrow Stacy's three girls will leave with their father for Tennessee. Another temporary home, another family and a new school to navigate in a strange community.

The grandmothers are worn out, anxious and troubled about the family splitting up. They dread the girls' departure tomorrow. It weighs heavy on their spirit.

After showing the children how to make and throw paper airplanes in the motel lobby, the girls attempt to braid my hair again.

Stacy, Jerald, Courtney and I gather up the four children to take them out to dinner and give Lois and Elouise some time to rest.

Off to Shoney's for the dinner buffet of ribs and chicken. The waitress is compassionate and very attentive. She inquired right away if we were in Jackson because of the hurricane.

One of the girls leans over and whispers in my ear that she is scared to leave her mother tomorrow. I do my best to hold back the tears and reassure her that it will be alright. I yearn deep inside for a different outcome.

Goodbye 'Uncle Johno'

Back to motel to say my goodbyes. The children give me long hugs. I toss Vichaun over the bed and tuck him in. They ask 'When will we see you again Uncle Johno?' Tears streaming down my face, not knowing for sure, I tell them 'soon'.

FRIDAY-Diamonds on my windshield...I'm driving a steel train in the rain.

Gas up the night before. Up and out before the sun. Storm clouds gather to the north as the sun rises. Large drops of rain hit the windshield intermittently. I am reminded of a verse in a Tom Waits' song I heard many years ago, 'Diamonds on my windshield, I'm driving a steel train in the rain." This truck and trailer feel like a steel train. The torrents follow.

Clouds break over Tennessee. With lots of time inside my mind, I am haunted by the uncertainties the Ewell adults and children face. The split up has begun across three states. If you add in Debbie Ann and Henrietta, it's four states. I can hardly bear it.

Safe at Anchor

Sixteen hours of straight driving through Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois and Wisconsin, only stopping for gas and repairs to the lights on the trailer. I call family, friends and colleagues to stay awake. I finally pull into my driveway a little after 10 pm. I am physically and emotionally spent. As I think about my journey and the challenges ahead for my family, another verse captures my tired imagination.

' Riding out the storm like a ship safe at anchor
Waiting out the long voyage around the cape of hope will take her....'

Kate Wolf, folk singer/songwriter


How you can help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home