Thursday, February 23, 2006

How to expand talk radio's audience

From all reports, there were some interesting, lively and sharp debates on Charlie Sykes' annual "Insight" show on Wednesday, featuring a lineup of prominent guests who duked it out on everything from prison policy to ethanol to school choice.

Isn't it a shame that only happens once a year?

Think of how interesting it might be to hear both sides every day. Might even be good for ratings. Imagine if there were that kind of free-wheeling give and take on the air all of the time.

What am I saying? How silly of me.

No one wants to hear the other side, do they?

And WTMJ radio no doubt has the market research to support its decision to broadcast one-sided radio 364 days a year, where Sykes talks only to his producer or screened callers who agree with him.

But I'll bet there was a much bigger audience than usual on Wednesday. If this is really all about ratings, a regular back-and-forth could expand the audience.

That's my gratuituous advice for the day.

8 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Owen said...

Does that mean that you will start allowing opposing opinions to post on your blog? It might drive higher readership.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Dad29 said...

"....this is the smallest record player in the world, playing "My Heart Pumps Purple Piss for Youuuuuuu...."

Sucks to lose the hegemony, eh?

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger xoff said...

Unlike Sykes, I welcome opposing viewpoints. The two of you above are evidence of that.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Dave Diamond said...

C.R., you continue to be the funniest person to comment on this blog. Charlie's just giving a voice to all those disenfranchised conservatives absent from the evil "MSM"? Thanks for the chuckle!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Billiam said...

Mr. Christofferson,
With all due respect, you are in error. I've been listening to Sykes for a number of years. He does take calls from people who disagree with him. I know this, as I have disagreed with him from time to time, and my calls were taken. Conversely, when I called Air America as well as a few other "liberal" talk shows to disagree, I was insulted and called names by the host. Not exactly condusive to continued listening. If you called Charlie, he'd take the call and put you on the air. Give it a try sometime.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger xoff said...

Sykes has taken my call a couple of times when it has been pre-arranged, but I have never been able to get through the screen when I call like a regular listener.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Billiam said...

There have been a few times where the screener didn't think my point worthy enough. I just can't see him ignoring you. Considering your political bent, who you've worked for in the past, etc. That being said, I think all radio hosts that I've listened to develope the same attitude. It's the It's my show syndrome. Some handle this pretty well, as I think Sykes does for the most part. Others get arrogant. This happens on both sides of the debate. That's why it's nice to have the amount of choice that's out there. I can turn the dial.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Billiam said...

bubbabob, the one thing to keep in mind, his show is about HIS opinions. Most talk shows are about the host. I can't listen to Belling as he loves to hear himself talk. It gets annoying. I can't listen to Hannity because he's too repetitive. I can't listen to Franken because he's an a-hole. I always keep that in mind. I listen to Sykes more often than not. That being said, I also turn the dial from time to time. Sometimes, it's too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home