Sunday, March 05, 2006

'Sheriff Clarke on Line 911'

Sheriff David Clarke -- that's Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke to you -- continues to treat his subordinates as though they are subhumans. Clarke ran for office promising to "change the culture" of the department by empowering front-line deputies. Instead, he has run the operation like a military dictator, punishing and silencing anyone who has dared to question anything he says or does.

The latest victim, Spivak and Bice report, is a 9-1-1 dispatcher who didn't answer the phone to Clarke's satisfaction.

He repeatedly asks her to answer the question, "What is it gonna take" to get people to answer the phone in the professional manner he expects. Not surprisingly, she doesn't have an answer, so he keeps asking. (She might have said, "Perhaps if you start treating people more like human beings ...")

Small wonder the deputies' union already has endorsed Clarke's opponent in the Democratic primary, Vince Bobot.

Amazingly, one conservative blogger plays the race card in Clarke's defense. As in, "How dare two white guys criticize a black man?" Give me a break.

3 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Billiam said...

Your a little over the top today. I just listened to the call and he wasn't disrespectful. I've had supervisers be bigger jerks than that. You're blowing this out of proportion. I expected better of you. Also, Elliot raised a good question. It wasn't meant in a derogatory way. Kane does discount many blacks who profess to be conservatives. Has Clarke made mistakes? Plenty. Is this one? No. Again, I expected better from you. I think you need to give us a break.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Technically, I didn't "play the race card."

I was taking a shot at our friend Eugene Kane, because I think he would normally play the race card in this situation. But I'm sure he won't because Clarke is considered a conservative.

Also, I'm not a true conservative. I haven't been a liberal since you guys sacraficed the First Amendment on the altar of political correctness, but I'm definitely not a traditional conservative.

And lastly, I won't apologize for thinking Clarke did the right thing when he chastised his employee.

It's his job to make sure the people who work under him do THEIR jobs. Being polite, helpful and professional when answering the phone is what she was being paid to do.

Sheriff Clarke was doing what he's paid to do when he reminded her of that.

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clarke stopped being worried about inmates at the county jail watching something other than FOX News so he could berate a 911 dispatcher? Sounds like him. And I worked for the man when he was a captain at MPD, so I don't want to hear any guff, 'k? He's a pompous ass, plain and simple.

Mixter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home