Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bush's fall puts Republicans at risk

In case you're wondering why gay marriage, the death penalty and other wingnut causes are on the fall ballot, the Washington Post reports:

Democratic pollster Geoff Garin said GOP House candidates have reason to worry. His surveys find that 82 percent of Americans who say they voted for Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) in 2004 plan to vote for a Democrat for the House this year. But only 65 percent who voted for Bush say they will vote for a Republican House nominee, Garin said. The remaining 35 percent say they are open to voting for a Democrat or staying home.

"We get a large chunk of Bush voters who are not motivated to go out and vote for Republicans this fall," Garin said. "That puts a lot of red districts into play."
Look for lots of photos of Mark Green with George W. Bush, and John Gard with Dick Cheney, this fall -- only you'll see them coming from the Democratic campaigns, not Green and Gard.

Other findings:
The latest Washington Post-ABC News poll showed 47 percent of voters "strongly" disapprove of Bush's job performance, vs. 20 percent who said they "strongly approve."

...Forty percent said they plan to vote for a Republican in this year's House elections, and 55 percent said they will vote for a Democrat.

True, Bush is not on the ballot. But he might as well be. It won't go away.

Of course, if the US is at "war" in Iran come October -- bombing the shit out of Iranians, in other words -- it could unify the country behind the President, as usually happens in wartime. Somehow, I don't think so.


Post a Comment

<< Home