Thursday, August 17, 2006

Doyle leads by 10 in independent poll

Gov. Jim Doyle holds a 48%-38% lead over Congressman Mark Green in a WISC-TV poll just released on the Madison station's 6 p.m. newscast.

The Green campaign, of course, says it's "fantastic" news, despite the fact that they have been claiming for months that the race is a dead heat.

A political "scientist" notes that Doyle has not hit 50%, but 48 ain't bad. And he's leading Green in his Green Bay base, too.

Would you rather have 48% or 38%?

Just asking.

9 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger XOut said...

Using a "random digit dial" system? Are you serious?

This is funny. It probably prepended every number with a '608' too.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Special K said...

If you really think Doyle is beating Green in Green Bay (or the 8th CD for that matter), you're not nearly the politico you think you are. Just ask your buddy Gillis what people think of Mark Green in Northeastern Wisconsin.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger badgervan said...

I'm from Green Bay. Despise Green the bush rubber stamp. Lots of us feel the same around here. Substance over lies.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger XOut said...

Badgervan joined the 30% who voted against Mark Green for Congress... I think the other 70% didn't miss his vote.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Paul_Robeson said...

In some ways, I think this poll reflects the fact that Green hasn't really offered anything that will appeal to voters beyond his core GOP base (the folks who would vote for any Republican with a pulse). I think it also shows that Green actually would have benefited from a primary against Walker -- it would have cost him some money, but it would have at least put him on the average voter's radar screen.

What's strange to me is that he apparently doesn't have a very coherent plan for his campaign beyond claiming that Doyle somehow is corrupt. It seems like a real jumble so far, with nothing hanging together to give voters an affirmative reason to vote for him. If he's going to have a chance, he's going to have to come up with something -- and quickly.

Merits aside, Doyle is doing a much better job of coherently framing his message. He'll sling his share of mud, too, but it won't have to be the heart of his campaign. He can actually point to record of accomplishment. Green seems unable to do that.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Harry Walker said...

I agree, Green and Republicans would have benefitted from a primary. As for Doyle leading in the Green Bay media market, keep in mind that Green does not represent the whole market. Doyle on the other hand has been on the ballot in that entire market as a statewide candidate since 1990. I have no doubt that Green will do well in his congressional district, but there's a whole lot of state out there and maybe a primary might have helped to get him acquainted with voters outside his congressional district. Yes, he would have had to spend money, but now he needs to spend that money just to get people to know that there is a race for Governor.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger badgervan said...

Harry Walker: Exactly. If Green is running 50/50 ( or close to that )in his home district in October, he is going to lose the election.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Harry Walker said...

For Green's sake, I hope he's not taking those Strategic Vision polls too seriously. If I may quote Jerry Reed...he's got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Paul_Robeson said...

I suppose the question is: What's Green going to do to get his numbers up? He's obviously reluctant to point to his service in Congress, and I think his record in the legislature might be similarly radioactive (because of the Jensen connection). So that leaves . . . what? Just a flat-out attack on Doyle, with a vague promise to "clean up"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home