Friday, October 20, 2006

Another mystery explained

Journal Sentinel's ad check of recent Doyle ad, by Steve Schultze:
The ad states:

* Doyle "helped create 170,000 new Wisconsin jobs." But the 170,000 figure uses seasonally unadjusted numbers to bolster the tally. Though the count is technically true, by using January 2003 -- generally a low point for employment during the year -- as his starting point and comparing it to last August -- generally a high employment month - Doyle's ad creates a rosier impression on state employment, a Journal Sentinel analysis published Sunday found. Using the method preferred by most economists - comparing seasonally adjusted payroll estimates - gives a net yield of 91,300 new jobs for the Doyle era."
An Xoff correspondent says:
I don't know, call me crazy, but maybe the reason that the Governor uses January 2003 is that is when he took office.

2 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've written MR. Schultze about his articles.
One where he completely avoided any references to the Mc Cain-Feingold law of 2002 as it applied to the complaint against Green's $1.3 Million money transfer.
It is clear to everyone, including the Elections Board and the Dane Co judge that the federal law was in effect at the time.
Mr. Schultze may be allocated only a limited nmber of lettters in his article space and could not add that fact.
In an email reply, he demanded who I was, and would only respond if he knew who he was talking to.
I replied that I was a long time reader of the Journal, and that he should respond even if he was talking to Daffy Duck! I was furious and wrote every editor, sending them a copy of that demand.
Reporter's should simply respond to the question and not worry about who is asking...as it is obviously a readr.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Other Side said...

Mr. Schultze is right. It's a courtesy to identify yourself in those forms of communication.

I would think it would be a courtesy in blogging too, but there are not many courteous people I guess (btw: my name can be found at my blogsite).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home